Wednesday, April 11, 2012

J is for Jane Austen

A to Z Blogging Challenge

J is for Jane Austen!!



Jane Austen is one of my all-time favorite authors. Pride and Prejudice, published in 1813, is my favorite book. Jane Austen's words were written 200 years ago but they still resonate with readers. Her six complete works of romantic fiction have seen massive republication. I've read all of these works but P&P remains my favorite. Austen never married and died at the tragically young age of 41. (Imagine how much more she could have written!)

Many fan fiction works have been created in the last 100 years, spinning off from the lovable (or sometimes maddening!) characters Austen created. Most of her work has been made into movies and mini series. (Yay for BBC awesomeness!)

What's your favorite Austen novel?

5 comments:

  1. I love Jane Austen too. Pride & Prejudice is probably my favourite, but I do have a soft spot for Emma. She gets things so hopelessly wrong, but it all works out OK in the end :-)

    What I like about Austen's books is that even though they're romances, they never feel like wish fulfilment. The people are real and nuanced and flawed. Plus, of course, she's so incredibly witty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Jane Austen. I love her (far too few) works, too. My favorite? _Emma_. I'm just a big sap for romantic meddling and hair-brained schemes!

    Great J post! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jane Austen couldn't be a more perfect J. :) She's amazing but I really loved Emma, though I love her other stuff too.
    Great J post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look forward to the rest of your challenge run…can’t believe we’ve had 15 days already!
    --Damyanti, Co-host A to Z Challenge April 2012

    Twitter: @AprilA2Z
    #atozchallenge

    PS: pls turn off your word verification to make it easier to comment---you might consider comment moderation instead if you're unsure :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Emma is my favorite character, but Pride and Prejudice has a special place in my heart. Everyone needs a Mr. Darcy.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Please comment. I do read all comments and they make me happy. :)