Saturday, April 7, 2012

G is for Goals

A to Z Blogging Challenge

G is for Goals



Everyone has to have a goal in life. Even if you say, "I don't have any goals in my life! I go wherever the road takes me!" Um...that's a goal. Living in your parents basement playing RPGs all day is a goal. Not a very good goal. *coughslackercough*

SO! Writing goals! If you're a writer, how often do you write? I know some people have a standard of writing "20 minutes a day/ 1 hour a day/ 5 hours a day..." They judge people who don't have the same writing goals that they do. *scratches head* I don't get that at all. No one is the same in anything they do! One person can take a 5 minute shower while another person takes a 30 minute shower. Did they both shower? Yes. Are they clean? Yes. (Though one person wasted quite a bit of water...)

In every facet of life, you'll find people with different goals than you. It's your choice about how to face these people. Don't let that "I write 5 hours a day!" person get you down. Maybe you (like me) have small kids, a job, volunteer opportunities, a life other than writing. *gasp!* Did I just say that?! Yes. I did. Writing is not the ultimate goal in life.

It really isn't. People can write and write and write and never sell their work. Some people never show their work to anyone. Some writers can write one book, sell it instantly, and never write again. You need to know that writing will not support your lifestyle. Well, unless you're J.K. Rowling. But even she had to wait for years to truly see a return for all of her work.

What's my point? *thinks* Have a goal for yourself. Writing should make you happy. If you're not happy with it, it's probably not for you. Find another hobby. Another way to express yourself. Don't be a tortured writer. You won't get any awards for it.

You'll probably just end up friendless. So don't do that.

That is all.

5 comments:

  1. Good slant on goals. I've written nine books and one's nearing the first stage. I never gave up on my goal to have them published. The book I began four years ago has just been accepted and another I co-wrote with an internet partmer should be published next month. Never give up, I say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Francene! Never, ever, ever give up. ;)

      Delete
  2. Wonderful post! I don't give myself a time frame goal or a word count goal for my writing. I keep track of my writing progress each day during the week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, refreshing POV. I like to set "project goals" rather than daily goals. I feel less pressure and usually make my goals.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Please comment. I do read all comments and they make me happy. :)