Monday, September 26, 2011

Melissa-ish Monday - Pride and Prejudice Edition

On this Melissa-ish Monday I'll tell you all about the "Pride and Prejudice" (as in Jane Austen!) themed party that I went to on Saturday night.

For those of you who don't know, I'm a HUGE Jane Austen fan. I've read all of her completed novels. And I own them. My favorite novel (out of ALL novels I've read) is "Pride and Prejudice." Elizabeth Bennett is my kind of heroine: spunky, intelligent, able to speak her mind. Awesome.

My friend's family threw her a surprise 40th birthday party with a "Pride and Prejudice" costume theme! You know that I was all over that like butter on bald monkey. I set out to find a dress. I knew I wouldn't find the "perfect" dress at a thrift store but I thought I could get close.

I went to the Goodwill near my house and found a dress that was the perfect fabric, color, etc. BUT the dress was the wrong style! I needed a Regency style gown. Sewing machine skills to the rescue!

I dissected the dress, starting with the bodice.












I cut the top of the bodice into a square neckline then sewed it back together (with the lining intact).








I shortened the sleeves. The dress was a size too small so I added a panel on either side of the zipper to make it bigger. I cut off the drop waist to create an empire waist.











I then needed to add some material or the dress would have been about five inches too short! Many Regency style gowns had a wide ribbon or silk belt around the waist. Perfect solution! I had an extra scrap of silk fabric from a previous sewing project.








I rouched the back of the material where it would gather on either side of the back by the zipper. I sewed everything back together and I like the way it came out.





































My mom had just gone to Hawaii and brought me back some pearls that were perfect for an accessory. I had long white gloves that worked out nicely.

The party was SO much fun! We had a lovely dinner, followed by a dance lesson in the "ballroom." We learned how to do the Virginia reel and the waltz. There were 5 different birthday cakes to choose from for dessert, along with tea. WOW. This was a fantastic party!!!

1 comment:

  1. Very well done! I'm impressed with your alteration skillz ;o)

    And so jealous of the party...Must have one of these...or maybe even a broader "Costume/Masked Ball"...

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Please comment. I do read all comments and they make me happy. :)