Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Banned Books Week

Banned Books Week


So, this week is "Banned Books Week." Why are so many people celebrating this? Because SO many favorite books have been banned and/or challenged! And many are really surprising to me. Why? Because I've read them! In school!

A "banned" book doesn't mean it's illegal to own that book or even to read it in your own home. Well, unless you live in a fascist country. I'll be doing mini posts all week with lists of books that have been banned and that I've read.

ALA List of Frequently Challenged/Banned Classic Books

(Books I've read in red)

The Great Gatsby, by F. Scott Fitzgerald
The Catcher in the Rye, by JD Salinger
The Grapes of Wrath, by John Steinbeck
To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee (One of my favorite books!!)
The Color Purple, by Alice Walker
Ulysses, by James Joyce
Beloved, by Toni Morrison
The Lord of the Flies, by William Golding
1984, by George Orwell
Lolita, by Vladimir Nabokov
Of Mice and Men, by John Steinbeck
Catch-22, by Joseph Heller
Brave New World, by Aldous Huxley
Animal Farm, by George Orwell
The Sun Also Rises, by Ernest Hemingway
As I Lay Dying, by William Faulkner
A Farewell to Arms, by Ernest Hemingway
Their Eyes Were Watching God, by Zora Neale Hurston
Invisible Man, by Ralph Ellison
Song of Solomon, by Toni Morrison
Gone with the Wind, by Margaret Mitchell
Native Son, by Richard Wright
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, by Ken Kesey
Slaughterhouse Five, by Kurt Vonnegut
For Whom the Bell Tolls, by Ernest Hemingway
The Call of the Wild, by Jack London
Go Tell It on the Mountain, by James Baldwin
All the King's Men, by Robert Penn Warren
The Lord of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien
The Jungle, by Upton Sinclair
A Clockwork Orange, by Anthony Burgess
The Awakening, by Kate Chopin
In Cold Blood, by Truman Capote
Sophie's Choice, by William Styron
Cat's Cradle, by Kurt Vonnegut
A Separate Peace, by John Knowles
Brideshead Revisited, by Evelyn Waugh
Tropic of Cancer, by Henry Miller
An American Tragedy, by Theodore Dreiser
Rabbit, Run, by John Updike

1 comment:

  1. I have not read many of these in completion...have read parts of others in my Lit courses, but there are still a lot I've never read...Hmm...

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Please comment. I do read all comments and they make me happy. :)