Monday, September 26, 2011

Interview with Author Kerry Castorano


I was able to interview Kerry Castorano, author of the epic fantasy novel Valren. Kerry's book is now available for purchase! TLT Bookstore   Barnes and Noble


Interview with Kerry


    What is your story, Valren, about?

    The Valren follows the life of a very strong, female heroine named Freyja. She grew up among a group of fighters that are known as the Valren. They are outliers of the community and not much is known about them aside from what people hear in songs and stories. When war is being threatened from the east, the Valren ally themselves with the nobility of their country to try and find a way to stop the war from breaking out before it starts because they know their country's army is not strong enough to hold back the larger forces of the neighboring army alone. There's fighting, a little romance, friendships made and broken.... A little bit of everything! I know it was fun to write - I hope people enjoying reading it!


    What was your inspiration for writing it?

To be honest, it sort of just... happened. I like to give myself farfetched goals just to see if I can reach them, even if it takes years to do. I always wanted to see if I could get a book published - that is one of those 'goals' I made a while back. Not to make money, or try and get my name out there, just to see if I could do it. When I was commuting for grad school I had to leave very early in the AM to miss traffic, so I would always have free time between getting to the school and my first class. I took that free time to start writing and it was so much fun I just kept doing it!

    
    If you could cast the actors for your book being made into movie, who would you pick?

Ohhh Johnny Depp and Gerald Butler for the male roles because, come on, they don't get much cuter than those two. For Freyja.. hm... maybe Bryce Dallas Howard?

     
    Who is your favorite character in your book?

Freyja, hands down. She's feisty!

    
    Favorite author when you were a kid?

I always loved "Fritz and the Beautiful Horses" by Jan Brett. I think I have three copies of it in my attic! Also loved "Billy and Blaze" books by C.W. Anderson, and "The Rainbow Goblins" by Ul De Rico.

    
    Favorite book to re-read?

 Hm, let me go look on my bookshelf! (3 minutes later) I think my answer to this question would changes every few months, but I just re-read the Sevenwaters series by Juliet Marillier. Those are some of my favorite re-reads, but I can't narrow it down to just ONE of them. Gees, that was a difficult question. Too many choices!


    What area of the bookstore do you normally browse?

Everything but the autobiographies. I will admit that I love looking in the children's section because there are always great new kid's books - but I only go in this section if there are no little kids running around. Kids often have sticky fingers and they love to smear that stickiness all over me whenever they can. I don't think I've ever been near a kid that didn't drool or puke on me. It is a curse. So I try to avoid them, hehe.

    
    Last movie you saw in the theater?

Bridesmaids - hysterical.

    
    Your favorite DVDs that you own?

Nightmare Before Christmas (best movie ever made, hands down).

    
    What song is always on play on your iPod/CD player?

Linkin Park is almost always in there - or Seven Nations. Quite a range!


    Lightning Round of “This OR That”

    Dog OR bird?

Doggie!!

    Home improvement project OR spa day?

I could squeeze both in - no problem. Home Improvement in the AM, break for a nice lunch, then off to the spa!!

    Learn a martial art OR learn to play a musical instrument?

Musical instrument as long as it was the cello - otherwise, martial art!

    Go on a road trip OR go on a backpacking trip?

Backpacking, no doubt.

    Live in a different country of your choosing for 3 months OR take a week long cruise to an unknown destination?

Different country. Heck, I would pay big bucks to stay in New Zealand for 3 months! Sign me up!!

    Act in a film OR give a live interview on TV?

Live interview. I don't think anyone wants to see my acting skills. I can only imagine how terrible they would be.

    Bake a cake OR barbeque steaks?

Cake, because the raw batter is delllliicccious.

    Fly in a helicopter OR ride a roller coaster?

Helicopter.

    Be a waitress OR be a beekeeper?

Beekeeper.... my parent's did that for a few years. Big fan!

    Oatmeal OR cold cereal?

Cereal.

    Play video games OR play a trivia game?

Trivia game, unless Portal is in the game system ;)

    Watch TV OR surf the internet?

Probably TV.

    Walk three miles OR run one mile?

Both!

    White daisies OR red roses?

Roses

    Chalkboard OR white board?

    White Board.

I hope you've enjoyed getting to know Kerry better! You can stalk follow her on Twitter: @TheValren, "like" her on Facebook:  Kerry on FB  and follow her blog: The Valren . Thanks for coming by!

1 comment:

  1. Fun interview! I've been drooling over the cover of this one - think I'm gonna have to give it a go :o) Especially after such a fun & quirky get-to-know-ya with the author!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Please comment. I do read all comments and they make me happy. :)