Thursday, March 3, 2011

Jane Austen Quotes

I recently watched (again) the BBC version (yes, the   l  o  n  g   one) of Jane Austen's Emma. It is a fantastic version and does the book justice. I love the relationship between Mr. Knightley and Emma.

"Mr. Knightley, in fact, was one of the few people who could see faults in Emma Woodhouse, and the only one who ever told her of them...."

The book is full of great quotes and I thought that I would share some of my favorite Jane Austen quotes. I wish I could say such rich, concise things. (And the things she wrote 200 years ago still ring true!)

"If I loved you less, I might be able to talk about it more." - Mr. Knightley to Emma.

"Every man is surrounded by a neighborhood of voluntary spies."
 
"I do not want people to be very agreeable, as it saves me the trouble of liking them a great deal." 

"Life seems but a quick succession of busy nothings."
 
"Nobody minds having what is too good for them."

"There is nothing like staying at home for real comfort."
 
I think I'll make a cup of tea and just read these for a bit. :-)  Maybe I'll make some scones too. And then I'll get back to writing, I promise! ;-)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hello there! Please comment. I do read all comments and they make me happy. :)