Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Competition - GIF

Competition (in GIF format)

I'm a competitive person. Watching Jeopardy!, I'm quick to say the answers. Play Cranium with me and it's no-holds-barred. But how does that translate into the publishing world?

It doesn't.















That's right. Authors shouldn't be competitive with other authors in the sense that we are fighting with one another over selling books.














We need to remember that people don't buy only ONE book. They buy many books. There's room enough for all of us in our genres.


So...if we're not being competitive, what should we be??
Encouraging. Supportive. Buy books! Go to author events! Tweet about good books you've read. Blog about books your kids have read.











Go to the library and talk to the librarians about good books. (They can't read all of the books! They need recommendations!) Talking about books doesn't cost money. It just takes your time and energy. And if that can help someone else, do it. They'll appreciate it.

Case in point. Today, I went to my local Barnes and Noble (there's only one bookstore in my town and it's B&N) to buy MARK OF ATHENA by Rick Riordan. My 9 y.o. son has been counting down the days until it came out. While I was in the children's department, I spied a MG (middle grade) novel that just came out today.

KEEPER OF THE LOST CITIES by Shannon Messenger. She's an incredibly sweet person and I love this book!! (Highly recommend it for ages 9 and up. Even adults!) An employee asked if I needed anything and I proceeded to talk about Shannon's book. She said it sounded interesting and that she would read it. She said she's always looking for new books to read and point out to customers. See? Five minutes out of my day. Painless. Fun. My work is done. ;)

(And I'm going to Shannon's launch party tonight at the B&N in Oceanside. Come join us!)














So, people, pay it forward. And be happy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hello there! Please comment. I do read all comments and they make me happy. :)