Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Book Review: A Corner of White

Book Review



A CORNER OF WHITE 
(The Colors of Madeleine, #1)
by Jaclyn Moriarty


From Goodreads.com: 
Madeleine Tully lives in Cambridge, England, the World – a city of spires, Isaac Newton and Auntie’s Tea Shop.

Elliot Baranski lives in Bonfire, the Farms, the Kingdom of Cello – where seasons roam, the Butterfly Child sleeps in a glass jar, and bells warn of attacks from dangerous Colours.

They are worlds apart – until a crack opens up between them; a corner of white – the slim seam of a letter.

A mesmerising story of two worlds; the cracks between them, the science that binds them and the colours that infuse them.


Review:
This book confused me for the first 75 pages. I was trying to figure out the whole two universe storylines/how does this possibly relate/what is happening here?? I just kept reading and I got more into the book as the storylines finally merged. 

Madeleine lives in the World (our world) with her mother. They both "ran away from home" and live in a tiny flat. Madeleine makes friends but always thinks about her old life as a spoiled rich girl. She longs for her father to come find her and bring her back home. She finds a letter that comes from "The Kingdom of Cello" - the other world in the parallel universe (I guess that's how to explain it??). She first believes it's from a weirdo in Cambridge but keeps writing to this unknown person, Elliot.

I don't want to spoil the story for you so I won't give away what the letters talk about. I really enjoyed the story after I got over the initial "what's happening" confusion. Madeleine is a sad girl who really needs a friend. Elliot is a strong, smart hero. I really liked his story more than Madeleine's. The whole idea of this other world and the possibilities that come up with traveling from world to world are awesome. I'd say this is a younger YA rating. I look forward to reading the next book in this series.

I received a review copy of this book from Scholastic for an honest review.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hello there! Please comment. I do read all comments and they make me happy. :)